Sure we saw him this weekend, but we spent a full day in the city with family and that is not the same as being at home together.
We text or talk on the phone every night, and this is Ella's highlight of the day when she gets to dial the numbers and talk to Daddy first.
Brie however, is not so easy to convince. She has never been much of a phone talker. In fact she would rather not do it at all.
Our theory is that it's because she is such an emotional girl. She just can't process the sad thoughts when she hears the voice of a loved one that she can't be with. So instead she would rather avoid that at all costs.
Most of the time we respect that. It's her choice and we can't make her talk to someone.
Until today.
The long days of schoolwork, and therefore little quality time with the girls, has left us all feeling frazzled and grouchy. Which obviously doesn't help when John is away.
So after a few yelling sessions"chats" about attitude in these last 24 hours I decided to try a new approach.
I decided that she was in fact GOING to talk on the phone with her Dad. I explained that her grouchiness was attributed to her feelings of missing him and that she would feel better afterwards.
So when it was her turn, she picked up the phone and talked!
For several minutes!
And she was smiling the rest of the evening!
I certainly don't have it all together, and I certainly don't think I have been a model parent these last couple of weeks (or ever!), but I do know this...
I know my daughter and I know what is best for her.
And that?
Is a great feeling.










.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment