Friday, April 24, 2009

I Love My Doctor

Today I drove into the city for a doctor's appointment.

...And I realized how very blessed I am to have found such a wonderful doctor!

This was probably only the third time I have seen this doctor, but every time I see her I like her more.  

For the first 5 minutes of the appointment we just visited.  She was asking about life in a small town (and more specifically something in the news recently but I don't want to get into specifics here).

Then we got into the main reason for my visit.  

I don't think I've really mentioned it on my blog before, but I have been dealing with some shakiness in my hands for a few years now.  

I have brought it up with this doctor before, but initially we wondered if it was just a blood sugar thing.

Unfortunately though, the shaking has been getting worse and I've noticed that it's now in my arms.  It is most noticeable when I am holding something (like a coffee cup or plate) as the object really seems to rattle in my hands.  So many people have commented on it, and I'm sure many others have noticed but politely not said anything.

I've been getting more self conscious about it and embarrassed about something that is completely out of my control.  To help avoid those times of embarrassment I have been holding things with two hands or not holding stuff at all, which is difficult to do.

I prayed this week that God would just help me to not take no for an answer, and that no matter what "diagnosis" may occur, that I would continue pressing until I was satisfied with the result.

Today my doctor was just great!  We talked openly about it and she is sure that I have some type of tremor.  Most likely not serious at all, but it does get worse with age.  

Hello 30s!  

She is going to refer me to a neurologist just to be safe, and she also suggested a prescription that typically helps the tremors to disappear right away, but she left it up to me if I wanted to try it out or not.  

I had a couple of other minor things to discuss with my doctor, and she was reading off of my list (yes I had it all written down!!) and bringing them up before I could.  

All in all, we probably spent 30 minutes in her office today.

For a simple annual appointment.

Thirty minutes.  

With a family physician.

Isn't that almost unheard of?

She wasn't rushed, she wasn't writing up a prescription but rather making suggestions.  She has fabulous bedside manners.  

I love her!

Especially after the long searches I have had in the past to find a long term doctor, she is to put it bluntly, from our own country, and she has school aged kids so I know she will be staying put.

Is it sad that I almost want to make another appointment with her just because she is so great?

Don't worry...I said almost.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great thing to find a good doctor! Sorry to hear about the shaking thing...I hope it does turn out to be nothing serious. Let us know what the neurologist says.

Colleen said...

Hooray for a good doctor!!
My mom also has a shaking problem (and another friend of mine too) - both were diagnosed with a 'benign essential tremor' - harmless, but not fun either!! My mom went out and bought the heaviest silverware she could find because then people can't notice her shaking as much. She brings along her own cutlery to places where they're going to have plastic cutlery because she refuses to use it anymore. Crazy. (and she also refuses to take the meds, so maybe you won't notice any of this!) ANyway, just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone. Hope the appointment goes well with the neurologist.

Anonymous said...

viagra free pills 18 takes viagra sample of viagra what does viagra do sample of viagra viagra suppliers viagra generique viagra 6 free samples viagra herb alternative viagra generic viagra doseage viagra uk cheap purchase buy cheapest uk supplier viagra make your own viagra