Sunday, September 7, 2008

Swings and Slings

This afternoon our family went for a nice brisk walk. The girls enjoyed watching the trains closeup and we all had fun running and chasing each other

Unfortunately upon our return to our home I made the poor decision to help Ella jump over the sidewalks cracks by lifting her up by one arm. She ended up with a partially dislocated elbow and was in a lot of pain.

We quickly grabbed the keys to the van and drove to the nearby hospital for assistance. After an x-ray (which I sobbed through, by the way) the doctor came in and fixed her up.

It was a horrible scream-filled experience. Ella is such a brave little girl and it takes quite a bit to make her cry. I had a hard time trying to keep some composure while talking to the x-ray tech, as well as the doctor. I just wanted to take away her pain and felt responsible for it in the first place.

I have 2 nephews who have experienced this same injury before, but you never fully understand until it is your own child in pain.

Lesson to self: Never EVER swing children around by their arms. (Which I rarely did in the first place because of my nephews)

Ella is back to her chipper self, chatting away at 10 miles a minute. She has her arm in a sling, but I don't think it will last long. She keeps trying to prove that her elbow is okay and that she can use her arm just fine.

Now I just need to recover.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to experience this! I don't have any kids myself, but I do have younger siblings and lots of neices and nephews and I'm sure I've caused my fair share of bumps and bruises in the course of playing. I always feel just awful about it.

Seanna said...

Awww poor Ella, I'm glad her perky spirit wasn't affected for long. One of the many "joys" of being a parent, we can't always protect them like we want too. I give you hugs Jenn, its hard.

Unknown said...

Poor little girl. Poor mama. I can just imagine how you must have felt. I'm glad she's feeling better. And she's so gorgeous by the way.

Anonymous said...

Awwww poor girl:( We dislocated Hannah's wrist swinging her around when she was about Ella's age. You feel awful I know!! I'm sure it was harder on you than it was on her;)Glad she's feeling better.

Carissa