Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Garden Surprises

Yesterday afternoon was a "work in the garden" kind of afternoon.

We dug up all of the remaining potatoes, we pulled the cucumbers and we pulled the tomato and corn plants.

During the festivities, John turned around and with surprise in his voice he said "What the heck?"

So, I too, turned my head to see what all the commotion was about.

I couldn't see anything worth noting.

I was quite confused.

Then John told me to look at one of the sunflower plants.

Here's what we saw:




You might have to look closely for the fur/nose behind the largest front leaf. Close to the top, in the center of the picture.

Yep.


That's a squirrel sitting in the plant.

It was difficult to get a great picture because his movements are so fast, but he kept leaning forward to pick the seeds out which he would promtly shell and eat.

This particular sunflower plant wasn't even supposed to be there. It sprouted in the middle of my tomato plants and I just decided to leave it there since there was room anyways. It bloomed long before the others did and since it has now gone to seed, I guess it was ripe for the picking!

While we're on the topic of my garden (sort of, anyways) here's a few photos of our harvest this year.

My measly corn. These were the biggest cobs unfortunately, and although it looks tasty, it was tough and not very sweet.




The remainder of the potatoes.


My blooming sunflowers.



I would have taken a picture of my cucumbers, particularly the lemon cucumber variety, but I forgot and now it is all grinded up to make relish tomorrow. Maybe no one else actually finds it interesting anyways!!

1 comment:

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

I love me some good garden pics. I took some and posted them for WW a couple of weeks ago. I was fun to look at them again yesterday and go and see how my garden has grown since. I am going to need to do a before and after when the pumpkins ever get done growing. I can't believe how big they are getting.

Your corn and potatoes are amazing. And... sad sunflowers. A squirrel space invader! How rude! LOL

Nice getting to know you. You have a great blog. I saw you over at Tara's View of the World and thought I'd drop by and say hello!