Friday, September 12, 2008

The Story Of Us: Getting Married

Welcome to Part 4 of my "The Story Of Us" series.

If you have missed any of the other stories so far, here they are for your convenience:

Part 1: The Beginning
Part 2: Dating
Part 3: Getting Engaged

I had easily planned out the first 3 parts of this story, and I also have stories to follow after this one, but for some reason part 4 is becoming a challenge to create. Since I can't leave this large of a gap in my story I feel that at least something is better than nothing. Although I wouldn't want to change anything from our newlywed stage, I don't recall anything much of interest. So bear with me....more good stuff is coming in parts 5 and 6!

John was away at his second year at CBC in Regina for the year that we were engaged. Most of our wedding plans were made over the phone or through letters. I remember sending him a sample copy of a wedding invitation as well as a tape (wow! a tape makes us sound quite old!) of some music to choose from. I recall from my year at CBC that packages were always highly coveted and what better to send then reminders of our upcoming wedding!

John, unlike a lot of husbands-to-be, wanted to be very involved with our wedding plans. He was quite annoyed with our photographer who would ALWAYS ask me the questions, as if it was only me who was getting married. Being involved is just John. This is one of many reasons why I chose to marry him!

I was quite opinionated about many details of our wedding, and most of those details seem so silly or mundane to me now. I'm not sure why I was quite so adamant that we were NOT having a wedding cake, especially when a family member offered to pay for it. I guess you could say that I'm a little bit "quirky" at times.

But we got married on a wonderful summers day in August. It was everything that I had hoped it would be. I walked down the aisle to "For The Love Of A Princess", which was from John's favorite movie Braveheart, as well as the movie that kind of started it all for us!

We had a wonderful honeymoon, visiting Bed & Breakfasts in BC, from the Okanagan to White Rock to Ucluelet which was amazingly beautiful! It was a great time to spend together before we settled into our new little home.

Our first home was a basement suite that we rented from a couple that we knew from church. It wasn't an attractive place with the green and orange carpets, but it was a big size and the price was excellent. We first lived underneath some quiet university girls, but when they moved out, some other newlywed friends of ours moved in. It was a neat experience for the most part. We lived there for 3 years before saving up enough for a downpayment on a house of our own.

Both John and I were working. I stayed on with the bank, and he was working with a machine shop, originally doing labor and eventually moving into a purchasing role. In our down time, we spent most nights either helping out with stuff at church (music, youth, etc) or vegging at home. (Now that we have kids, I truly wonder what on earth we did with most of our time!!)

We moved into our first house and continued to do the same things that we always did. We managed to do a couple of cheap renos to the house; replaced the warped lino in the kitchen and painted the front rooms.

After several months in the house, we decided that it was time to start a family. Little did we know that it's not always as easy as it sounds.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

:o)
I like this story! Keep 'em coming!

freeshopper said...

You should print off all these stories for your girls for when they are older. They would surely enjoy them!!