Sunday, August 31, 2008

Brie's Progress


Here is another wonderful anniversary gift that we received earlier on in the week.

I was trying to explain what an anniversary is to my girls and Brie quickly decided that she needed to write a "card" for John. I then tried to explain further that an anniversary is for both of us, but she still decided that the card was to be only for John.


The only words she needed help with the spelling was "It's For You"....the rest she did all by herself. I love the hearts that she drew all over!! And notice that my name actually did make it onto the page, she just handed the "card" to John instead.

Brie has finally begun to read for other family members. They too can better understand how amazing her talent is. Lately Brie is reading a lot of Beginner 2 type books. She does really well with the exception of a few words that are more difficult to read!

We finally have a start date of Sept 23 for her Pre-K class! I am trying very hard not to stress out before the class even begins, but I am already worried about the ages of the kids in her class. I have yet to hear of another 4 year old, not to say that there won't be any but it is a smaller group, and with Brie's advanced skills this concerns me that she will be placed with a group of 3 year olds. (All the kids that she went to preschool with last year are continuing at the preschool...lots of confusion about the new Pre-K program at the time it was advertised) There is a vast difference in the skills between 3 and 4, with writing, letter/word recognition and fine motor skills, among others. Since we tried our hardest to get Brie into Kindergarten and we were not successful, I want to go into this year with a positive attitude and to keep her best interests in mind.

We will be having a home visit from our teacher before the class starts so I'm hoping to address my concerns with her at this time. She is a former Kindergarten teacher so she should be able to recognize Brie's talents and hopefully address them with a positive approach.

I am anxious to get this school year started to hopefully put my fears to rest. The unknown is usually worse than the actual, but I have a very bad history of creating worse-case scenarios in my mind.

3 more weeks to go.....3 more weeks to go

1 comment:

Seanna said...

What a nice job on the card. Brie is very talented for her age and I'm sure everything is going to work out just fine with her pre-k class. Try and think positive.♠