Friday, March 13, 2009

Games

Last weekend we took a day trip to the city for the usual errands. We had to buy something for a birthday that we were invited to and the girls had been saving up their allowance and wanted to stop at Toys R Us. They were each allowed to buy a game with their money.

Brie chose Princess Monopoly Junior. Certainly not what I would have chosen but she is thrilled with it and wants to play it EVERY day.

EVERY. DAY.

I'm not really a big fan of monopoly as it always seems the game goes back and forth between players for a very long time. And the junior version is no better. So my new rule is that when I am tired of playing I then announce that we each get 3 more turns and then we are done. It actually works out much better this way!

Ella took a lot longer to decide what to pick. Her decisions were based solely on the pictures on the game boxes so John and I were trying to suggest some that we knew she would like. Actually for her birthday this year, some friends of ours gave her this game called "Can-Do-Roo" which is absolutely perfect for her! The game involves lots of moving around and hopping. For a kid that doesn't sit still for very long, this is ideal! And actually she is finally learning her alphabet and numbers thanks to this wonderful game. Our family plays it quite often and it's one of those games that the parents don't mind playing at all. (Unlike Monopoly junior or Candyland)

So Ella finally decided to pick Hullabaloo which is a game created by Cranium. We all love this game too! We have only had it for one week now but already it has been played dozens of times. It's another educational game mixed in with moving around (crawling, marching, spinning, and more!) so it keeps Ella's interest for the entire game.

I am just so happy with Cranium games! We already have another kids game from them called Cariboo which is a fun game as well. I'm actually looking forward to adding to our game collection over the years with more from this company. They really seem to understand that not all kids like to sit down and play a board game (like monopoly), and would rather keep moving around. I also like the way that they inspire creativity in children!

Today in the mail I received a recent order that I made from Chapters.ca I was browsing this website (I as too often do!) and was looking at the outlet site. I came across these Cranium books, which was a new concept to me. The activity books are normally $27.00 but they are on clearance for only $7.

So I bought 2 of them!

The books say age 7 and up and it does look like it will be a while until one of our girls can fully use it but I also think it would make an excellent gift! Great for travelling too.

So I thought I would share about this excellent deal for any of you who might be interested. I did see other Cranium books online but none of those were such a fantastic price as the Big Book Of Outrageous Fun.

I do keep the Chapters Outlet marked on the right hand side of my blog under Great Deals. I have gotten some wonderful finds from there!

No comments: