Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Field Trip

This morning Ella and I accompanied Brie and her class to the fire hall in town.

Being that we live in a small town, the fire hall was just a short walk away from the school.

All the kids paired up with each other and held hands for the walk there.

It's just so sweet to see that Brie has made some good friends in her class already. She was almost always holding another girl's hands the entire time.

During the walk we had to go past the RCMP detachment. John's boss greeted everyone with tattoos for later. On the way back home, John came out to say hi. Of course, Brie was absolutely thrilled to see her daddy at work. Unfortunately she lost the hand of her friend Ella M and was very devastated that she no longer had a partner. The problem was quickly solved though.

As a parent of only girls, I always find it interesting to see the vast difference between boys and girls. The girls were afraid of the loud sirens. The girls didn't want to try on the helmets. Boys, however, were full of detailed questions; "What happens if..." "Can you show us the...." I don't think there was a single comment from a girl the entire time. There were 2 classes of kids there. Both the pre-K as well as one of the Kindergarten classes went together. I can't believe that not a single girl had a question or comment. Very interesting indeed.


The highlight of the trip was definitely when Sparky showed up for a visit at the end. You could literally watch the kids' eyes light up with excitement and awe. How fun!

*****************************************************************
I don't think I was ever one of those girly girls. I didn't like dressing up. Actually I still don't really.

I had to dress up every day for work. That was enough for me .

Plus, none of those former work clothes fit me anymore.

I think that my closet must have "shrunk" them on me

Anyways, I have wondered if I will have girly girls or if they will lean more towards a tomboy style.

I was always more of an active girl. Playing sports when all my other friends were watching from the sidelines.

I'm not very coordinated or skilled with sports, but I enjoy playing regardless.

I guess you could say that I'm not your stereotypical girl. I like to do things that girls don't normally do. And DON'T try to tell me that I can't do something because I'm a girl. This just makes me more determined to do it.

Just the other morning I was getting ready and looked out into the backyard. I saw a rather odd sight...

We seem to have strange creatures visit us each year and this one was the strangest yet.

I ran to get the girls and told them what was in the yard. I told them to get their shoes so we could go outside and see.

Ella...the enthusiastic one of the bunch...promptly started to put her shoes on.

Brie...on the other hand...she wanted nothing to do with our new visitor.
Brie refused to even go outside if this thing was out there.

So just Ella and I went out.

What did we go to see?

A little gartner snake.

In MY backyard!

I can't say that I like snakes, but I'm also not scared of them so I decided to try to pick it up like you see on TV. I began to grab its tail and it turned around and lunged at me. (I later found out from John that garter snakes can and will bite...good thing this didn't happen to me!)

After several unsuccessful attempts to then pick it up with a stick I decided to just leave it in my bedding plants. Ella asked if she could touch it. So she stuck out her little finger and quickly gave it a gentle poke.

Then she said "Okay I'm done. Can we go back inside and watch Dora now?"

Ah, my sweet little girls. One has apparently picked up the paralyzing fear of snakes from John's family. The other has no fear but not much interest either. Oh well, it made for a fun story anyways!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow - you and Jon are sure different, eh? :o) I'm trying so hard not to pass my fear of snakes on to my kids...

Anonymous said...

I have been bit by a few gartner snakes in my life (it doesn't hurt that much:) However, it happened when I was a kid and when I had no fear. Now, I don't think I would even attempt to pick up a snake,let alone get near one!