Yesterday Ella came down with a mysterious fever.
No other symptoms.
Just a mild fever.
And of course, the extreme whinyness and clinging.
Can't forget those lovely traits that appear with sick children.
Somehow though, in the midst of the whining and the clinging, and the knowledge that I had a messy house and other stuff that needed to get done, I found that special place.
The place that I haven't been for quite some time.
The place that I'm not sure how often I'll get to go back to anymore.
It was the place of contentment, peace and warmth.
Snuggling with my beautiful child while she drifted off into sleep.
Is there anything more precious than that?
My "baby" is soon going to be 3 years old and I fear that this may be one of the last times that I get to enjoy her snuggliness in that special way.
In two weeks, both of my girls will be turning a year older.
I was greatly anticipating their birthdays until yesterday when it dawned on me how much will change with having a 3 year old and a 5 year old in the house now.
It makes me think of the great children's book by Karen Kingsbury, "Let Me Hold You Longer", celebrating each last in a child's life.
But how do you celebrate some of those transitions without your heart breaking just a little?
How do you know when you've reached those lasts?
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










.jpg)

1 comment:
Oh I hear you... and its horribly heart breaking. I try so hard not to wish for the past with my kids, but just to enjoy them where they're at... but it can be tough too... I hope you enjoy your holiday and birthday season coming up!
Post a Comment