Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Living Vicariously Through Others

This week we are all sick with colds.

It's not the "stop everything and lie around for 3 days" kind of cold, but still it is not fun.

Whiny (extra whiny) children, shorter sleeps, lots of kleenex.

So today, I am living vicariously through someone else.

My good friend is on a road trip today. She left her children with her husband for 2days while she and another friend travel to relive their childhood fantasies.

Where are they going?

Edmonton.

Why there?

Well, you may think I'm a little crazy for admiring it in a way. It's a little out there, but I think it would be a lot of fun too.

They are going to the NKOTB concert tonight.

NKOTB?

Yep. The New Kids On The Block.

Months ago when their reunion was announced my sister called me up and asked if I was interested in going.

Interested? No, not really.

Intrigued? Yes. Definitely yes.

On Sunday, this friend and I watched several YouTube videos to relive the "good ol' days". Surprisingly, she remembered more lyrics than I did. It was a lot of fun to reminisce, sing along and also laugh at the hideous hair and outfits.

I was a huge New Kids fan back in the day. Oh yes, my walls were plastered with posters (anyone remember the large shirtless picture of Jordan that covered half my wall?), I had the cassette tapes, I had the sweatshirt. I was a huge fan!

I remember how jealous I was when friends of mine in elementary school were allowed to go to the concert. I think that I was convinced that one of them was going to impress Jordan and they would fall madly in love and get married. Thus, crushing my dreams forever.

Fortunately, my childhood fantasies have vanished. I am happily married to a man who doesn't understand how girly crushes work. At the time, they are very real and in depth. I just like to think that my Jordan crush helped to prepare me for the real world and my very real husband.

John thinks I'm nuts. He also thinks my friend is nuts for going tonight.

I, for one, hope that she has a fabulous time tonight.

And just for fun, here's a great video to help you relive those days (if you want to, that is...)

4 comments:

freeshopper said...

I just remember buying you a book for Christmas and the lady at the counter asking me if I was going to the concert (mortified I said no). LOL!!!

Seanna said...

Ahhhhh those were the days! I too was hopelessly in love with Jordan and I was convinced he would notice me at their concert and marry me ... yup, I was in grade 6 LOL .... oh my.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that made me laugh. Good post. I'm a little embaressed that Edmonton is to host such a event. I'd be more concerned with Seanna, doesn't sound like she's over Jordan;)

~C

Kerry said...

No way... I was going to marry Jordan! Oh, I'm so glad you posted that video Jenn. It just made my day. NKOTB rocks.