
There were many speakers, but our favorites were definitely Mark Holmen and Kevin Leman.
The main purpose for the conference was to help families see that the responsibility of sharing our faith with our kids lies within ourselves, and we need to stop blaming the "church" for the lack of young adults leaving their childhood faith behind and not ever returning.
The statistics are actually quite alarming. Studies vary in percentages, but at best it appears that approximately 50% of kids stop attending church once they reach adulthood. The worst statistics said it was closer to 61%.
As one speaker put it, if you have two children the chances are very high that one of them will quit going to church someday and never return.
Or if you have three kids, maybe two of them will.
He asked us which child we would choose.
*GULP*
I don't want that to be either of my kids.
Why is it that most people don't see this as a problem?
I posted a review a while back about "How to Raise a Modern-Day Joseph". Actually the author for 'Raising a Modern Day Joseph' was at the Focus on Parenting conference. He had some excellent points about this crisis, but I also like the action plan that is in the "How To" book.
I have also ordered a few books from authors at the conference. The one I am most looking forward to is "Faith Begins at Home".
Another statistic is that parents are 2-3 times more influential in their children's faith than any church program.
So John and I will be setting some realistic goals for our family. But it has to begin with us. In my own life. And in his.
We need to live out our faith every day. Read our bibles. Do family devotions. Talk about God/church/life with our kids.
The busyness of school and life seems to get in the way, but we need to focus on the long-term. I'm thinking a realistic plan will be in the works for 2010. The girls will be able to help make decisions about what we are going to learn (and how we will do it) throughout the year.
It will be neat to look back in 2011 to see what we have accomplished!










.jpg)

1 comment:
great post. I was actually surprised by those statistics... I guess reading a bible together every night and praying and talking about God should be the most important thing on every family schedule...
thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment