Wednesday, February 11, 2009

This Is My Story Begins!

Today has been a fabulous day filled with sharing and tears, talking and laughing.

This morning was our regular Wednesday morning Nooma video. About half a dozen of us women get together to visit, discuss and encourage each other. We eat, the kids play....it's all good. We have been doing this for several months now. This morning was THE BEST so far. It was a time of vulnerability and honesty. We cried, we hugged, and we bonded. I truly appreciate our times together.

And tonight, the This Is My Story bible study began!

My friend Kristi and I have prayed about the specific ladies that God would have in this group and that we would have diversity in our backgrounds, ages, churches, etc. It was amazing to see this prayer answered tonight as we began. Each women shared why they chose to be a part of this group, and more specifically, why they wanted to do this study/keepsake album.

My first couple of years in a struggling small-town church was very difficult. I would be lying if I said that I had enjoyed going. Sometimes it was just too much of a battle between my attitude and trying to restrain Ella (not Brie because she always sits like a perfect angel!!) so I would choose to skip church. Quite often. The church didn't seem to have any growth or desire to change. I left a growing church of 1200 to attend a church of approx 25. It was a big challenge.

Back then, I had dreams of starting up a young mom's ministry like my previous big church had with 100+ women showing up to visit once a week while numerous babysitters took care of the children so the moms could enjoy a morning off. I still think this would be excellent! But maybe not so practical at this time.

So I let go of my dream for a long time and thought that nothing would ever come of it. Yet slowly God changed my heart to see that a women's ministry could be possible if I would let Him take care of the details. Not me.

Since September, a few young moms have started attending our church on a regular basis. They are excited to be involved and it's great to have more than one or two young families in the pews. Plus our pastoral family is excellent! I appreciate them more each week. Just this past Sunday the sermon was about dreaming big things for our church. If money/time/abilities were no obstacle what could our church do? I can feel that the wheels are in motion for some great changes to come.

I'm so encouraged tonight. I just feel like my heart is full. God is working in this town and in the lives of those in our church. I haven't sensed this in such a noticeable way before.

I'm so excited to see how this study progresses and what will happen next!

2 comments:

Prime Family said...

Dearest Jenn,
I am so grateful to you for so many reasons!! Thank you for dreaming and praying and sharing....the twitch is becoming contagious!! hahahahah

Jinny said...

That is so great Jenn. Thanks for sharing. God is good huh.