Have you ever thought your child couldn't do something and have told them so, only to find out that you were completely wrong?
This happened to me this week.
For the last couple of years, Briehas liked to play on the computer. We bookmarked a few websites that she can play on (Nick Jr, CBC Kids, Curious George, Treehouse, Webkinz) and she can just open it all up herself. She's done this all by herself for a very long time and she is thrilled with her independence. Usually Ella pulls up a chair beside her and is quite content to just watch. When she asks for Nick Jr she means she wants to watch Brie play at the computer.
The last 6 months or so, Brie has also been opening up WordPerfect and typing on a blank page. She has always been a speller so it's only natural for her to want to write wherever she can. The other day she typed out the entire ABC song, complete with "Now I know my ABCs....." The spelling wasn't perfect on the words but I absolutely love that she tries her best with how she hears a word.
So I wasn't really surprised earlier this week when I heard Ella ask to play Nick Jr on the computer. However, it was Tuesday morning and Brie was at Pre-K so I told Ella that she would have to wait until after lunch. She started to debate with me and insisted that she knew how to play on the computer now.
I've seen Ella hold the computer mouse and just click it constantly so I really wasn't convinced that she would get anywhere on the Nick Jr website, or any other website for that matter. I didn't think it would be successful at all.
I told her that she didn't know how to use the computer.
Her reply was something like "Yes I do, Brianna showed me how."
So due to her insistence, I opened up the internet and took her to Nick Jr.
And I learned that I was wrong.
(It doesn't happen often, but I am willing to admit when it does occasionally occur. Right John?!?)
Ella definitely DOES know how to use the computer already. She happily played on there for about an hour (!) while I went on the treadmill and showered and got ready.
I also learned that she can actually open up Internet Explorer by double clicking the mouse too.
When did kids get so smart so fast?
I sure hope that I can keep up with this growing technology. I don't want to be like our parents who are still scared to program the VCR (Sorry Mom, but you know it's true!! Although I was very proud of you for learning how to text on your cell phone while we were in Mexico)
I'm not sure what the VCR equivalent will be as our kids get older, but you know what I mean. Gotta keep up with the times. Otherwise pretty soon, my 3-year-old will be making powerpoint presentations and I will be sitting back completely clueless. Yikes!
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










.jpg)

1 comment:
That's a cute post. Pretty smart kids you have Jenn ...
Post a Comment