Thursday, October 15, 2009

Green: A Review



Green
Book Zero: The Beginning and the End
By Ted Dekker

Reviewer's Guide

Be sure to check out Ted Dekker's Green Website for Downloads, Videos and More!

Book Description

At Last . . . The Circle Reborn
The story of how Thomas Hunter first entered the Black Forest and forever changed our history began at a time when armies were gathered for a final battle in the valley of Migdon. Green is a story of love, betrayal, and sweeping reversals set within the apocalypse. It is the beginning: the truth behind a saga that has captured the imagination of more than a million readers with the Books of History Chronicles.
But even more, Green brings full meaning to the Circle Series as a whole, reading as both prequel to Black and sequel to White, completing a full circle. This is Book Zero, the Circle Reborn, both the beginning and the end. The preferred starting point for new readers . . . and the perfect climax for the countless fans who’ve experienced Black, Red, and White.


My Review:
I have mixed feelings about this book. I was a huge fan of the original Circle series and couldn't read those books fast enough. Then Ted Dekker started referring to the Circle in all of his books, and I sort of lost interest. I'm not a fan of popular authors compromising their initial story (in this case, a trilogy), and later on adding additional books. I've seen it before and the quality tends to decline. But I did want to be fair to Green and give it a try, despite my initial reservations.

The book is described to be either the beginning or the end of the original "Black", "Red" and "White" trilogy. I honestly don't think that newcomers to this series would understand the concept of Green if they tried it first, but it does work well for a new ending to the story for those of us who are already familiar with the characters and plot. It took me a while to get involved in the story, but I did find that as the plot thickened, my interest in the story grew. I enjoyed the ending and its symbolic reference to the Circle. Overall it was a decent read. I don't think it completely changed my mind and won me over, but I did enjoy the book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.