Today was the final morning of VBS and I am so glad.
Although the week has been a great week of games, crafts, stories, songs and snacks, I am feeling exhausted from looking after anywhere from 7-9 preschoolers this week.
Most of the kids were easy to watch, but then there are always those other few that create some extra "challenges". They are good kids (for the most part!) but sometimes they refuse to participate, they try to run away, they cry, they complain, they fight, etc. I need a good break!
Tonight we do a windup BBQ with all the kids and their parents. The kids "perform" the songs we've learned this week and it gives the parents a chance to see what was taught throughout the week. The town ministerial always buys a VBS "kit" which includes a theme with all the stories, music, games etc for the week. Unfortunately the music isn't great. Some songs are good, but others are slow and mostly boring and not exactly the impression we want to give to these children that wouldn't otherwise go to church.
Good thing for Duggie Dug Dug. Seriously! The name is awful, but this guy is amazing! He writes worship songs for kids that are hilarious, entertaining and scriptural. We were using the Funky Action Songs DVD which has an entire team of highschool aged or older people singing the songs with actions. It sounds cheesy, but really it's not at all. I had just as much fun doing the actions as the kids did. Even the older kids participate, which is sometimes hard to get them involved!
Our favorite song is I Can Walk, which has an awesome chicken dance to go with it. Not the polka dance style, this is much cooler. Ella enjoyed the breakdancers on the video and she was grooving everytime the videos were on.
I am really wanting to get a copy of one of these awesome videos for our house, it's THAT good! The only problem is that Doug Horley (Duggie) lives in the UK. I can't find anywhere online that sells DVDs for Canada. I'm hoping that Scott's Parable in Saskatoon will carry them, or can at least order it for me.
(Actually as a side note...Doug Horley wrote the worship song "We Want To See Jesus Lifted High" for those of you who are familiar with it.)
Why am I so desperate to get a copy of this for myself? Several reasons.
#1. I want my girls to find God and God-related stuff to be fun and exciting!
#2. Our church does not offer anything fun or exciting.
#3. I want our girls to actively participate in singing worship songs.
#4. Most Christian music for kids is not high quality music (in my opinion)
#5. The girls have been singing the songs all week at home and they really like it.
So this weekend we are going away and hopefully I can get ourselves a copy of this!
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










.jpg)

1 comment:
hey jenn! nice new blog. if you're looking for some fun kids worship dvds, try looking for hillsongs kids worship. we use them at church for our kids (in the older group, but your girls are getting there) and they have great songs. also, if you ever get a say in what kit they choose for vbs i highly recommend anything by Group Publishing. it's always fun and they have great music!
Post a Comment