Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Blessing

Life is getting back into a "normal" routine once again.

Brie has been back at school for a full week now.  Every day her confidence grows and she looks forward to what each day will hold.  She is enjoying the friendships that she has made so far.

Especially the one with our next-door neighbour girl.  She is in grade two and has been a real blessing to us in the way that she excitedly looks for Brie on the playground and runs to greet her each morning!

The family that this girl comes from is a unique situation for a small town, as she has 2 moms.  Already we have begun discussions with our kids about lifestyles.

I'm SOOOO not ready for those discussions yet.  I want to shelter my girls from the world just a little bit longer yet.

It will be a fine balance of age-appropriate explanations and non-judgmental Christian love (which I realize some may find to be an oxymoron).  I don't ever want to provide an explanation that could someday be repeated to their family and end up offending them.

It's a tricky situation.  One that I realize could be handled in many different ways.

I certainly don't claim to know all the answers, but I am praying that God will use this situation to help us, above all, to teach our kids about love and acceptance.  I am sure that this family has already met their share of condemnations and ostracism.  So we need to be careful in making sure that we don't contribute to that as well.

Maybe instead we can be a small blessing in their lives, as they have been in ours already.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Oh man, that is a tricky situation, but also sooo good to know that there is a nice girl out there for Brie to play with! And I love your attitude... if only more people could see it that way.
So, how did her first day of school go??