Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Humble Pie, or Cake

Somehow I forgot to post of picture of this cake that I made for Brie's birthday. It's certainly not perfect, but I just made it for her friend party anyways. Even with its many flaws, this cake still took about 1 1/2 hours to decorate! It's hard to see but I brushed on some pearl dust to make the icing shimmer. I think it added the right finishing touch.

When Brie woke up the morning of her birthday party to see it, she actually clapped and told me how great it looks. Then she said "Thanks for making it, Mom!".

THAT is what makes all the effort worthwhile.


*****************************************************************

Yesterday I went to my very first piano lesson. The teacher here uses the Suzuki Method of teaching, which is designed for young children. Since I am already learning this because of Brie's lessons, she is teaching me the same basics. So I get to play lots and lots of Twinkles.

For those that aren't familiar, Twinkles are a large part of Suzuki Book One. It is all variations of the song Twinkle Twinkle, using different rhythms to play on the keys. Since it often takes a full two years for children to complete book one, we will be hearing Twinkles for a very long time to come, especially if Ella takes lessons in a couple of years as well.

So the beginning feels very elementary to me, but I do realize that it is important to learn the correct hand structure for playing well. However since I have already taught myself most of the songs in Book One with both hands playing (even if it doesn't sound fabulous), it feels like I am taking steps backwards and not forwards at this point. Yes, I am aware that I have only had one lesson so far.

Towards the end of my lesson yesterday, another student came in with her mom to get ready for her lesson. So they sat and observed the ending of mine. It felt very awkward to have a child who is probably in grade 5 or 6 and plays FAR better than I will for years yet, observing my pathetic attempts to play well. I even had to explain afterwards that it was my very first lesson ever. Just in case they wondered why I was so terrible.

Ah that wonderful humility. I get that taught to me, whether I like it or not.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Okay, that cake is AWESOME - and yay for Brianna being appreciative - what a sweetie.
AND, you should feel proud of yourself for having the guts to take lessons "at your age" (heehee)... no but really, those kids that came in and heard you are having an excellent example of an adult continuing to learn and grow - I think you're great for doing it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the cake!!!

C

Seanna said...

what a wonderful cake! i've heard that those types of cakes are very time consuming, so way to go!

Anonymous said...

the cake looks great Jenn

k

Jinny said...

That is a very beautiful cake! wow! I agree with Colleen that you should be proud of yourself. That's so cool.